Some people are born with a knack for designing while others manage to imbibe the skill. Then, there are others who struggle with it. Here are a few tips on how to design your home like a professional .
1. The first and the most important part of designing is the blueprint of the house which includes the measurements of all the walls. Use the Metric or Imperial system whichever you are comfortable with. You can get the blueprint of the layout from the builder or can measure it out yourself. It will look similar to the image below.
2. Always document all your expenses incurred during the journey either in a notebook or in an excel sheet so that you’re aware when you’re shooting the budget.
3. Begin by measuring each and every furniture item and if any confusion checks the standard dimensions which are easily available on Google. For example, a single-seated sofa chair is usually 2 ft 8 inches X 2 ft 4 inches, a dining table is 3 ft X 6 ft and a bed is 5.5 ft X 6.5 ft. The minimum clearance between the wall and any furniture should be 30 inches.
4. One can always take the help of easy to learn software tools such as AutoCAD, Google Sketch Up, Revit, etc.
5. It’s easier if the designs of the furniture are in clean straight lines instead of making complex designs that are difficult to execute.
6. You can visit few veneer wholesalers, marble quarries and paint showrooms to get small samples of the materials which you like. Always keep a few options for samples. You can arrange samples in a tray and keep coming to the samples every few hours and decide on the ones you like, you can discard the ones you dislike and only keep the ones you have your heart on.
7. Begin work only when you are 100% sure of the furniture dimensions, color, look and feel of the materials selected.
8. The professional look comes only with the right finishing and layering of materials.
9. Mood board trays are an excellent way of getting your desired results. You can check our previous blog regarding the same.
10. You can take inspiration from some design books and magazines such as Elle Décor, Kelly Hoppen: Ideas: Creating a Home for the Way You Live, and Dream Décor by Will Taylor. Rhapsody by Kelly Wearstler is a good book to take inspiration to add color and drama to your home!
11. Hire an experienced contractor, discuss with him and finalize your budget and only then go ahead with any work.
Use these rules to get started, however, Creativity does not have any limits and bounds. If something feels right to go with your instincts. After all, you need to be surrounded by your likes which will make you happy. Happy Designing!!!
One thought on “How To Design Your Home Like A Professional?”